The Scepter Military Fuel Canister (MFC) was developed by Scepter to meet design and performance requirements set by the U.S. Army and Canadian Forces for leak-proof, rugged, safe, dependable and cost-effective plastic jerry canisters. Scepter has produced and delivered over one million MFCs.
Vehicle and other OEM defense contractors can design equipment with carrying fixtures and brackets that are uniformly designed because of the standardized dimensions of the fuel canisters (and the Scepter water canisters).
Scepter Plastic Military Fuel Can (MFC) Compared to Steel Fuel Cans
There are several major differences in the construction and performance of steel fuel cans compared to plastic. Here is a quick comparison of the characteristics of steel and plastic cans:
* Steel cans are heavy.
Steel = 4.3kg empty, plastic = 2.3kg empty.
* Steel cans dent.
If the can falls, is thrown, or is struck its structural integrity will be compromised. Plastic cans will not.
* Overtime, steel cans will rust.
Water vapor will develop in the can and eventually corrode the can from the inside, contaminating and compromising the fuel supply. This rust can be transferred into the fuel tank of a vehicle, clogging the fuel lines and/or engine. If the can is dented, it is more likely to rust faster and at the point of the dent.
* An older steel canister can split along the welds.
Plastic cans do not have any welds as they are moulded in one continuous moulding process.
* In warm climates pressure builds in all fuel cans.
A plastic can will swell, indicating that pressure has built. Such swelling is noticeable and can be released by opening the cap. A steel can will not swell if pressure is building. Mitigation is difficult if unknown. If struck by a tracer bullet, IED fragment, or similar there will be a spark, flames, and explosion. Scepter’s plastic can will burn by adding fuel/energy to the fire, but it will not result in a catastrophic explosion. If the steel fuel can explodes, as a result there will be a significant dispersal of shrapnel. Plastic will not provide shrapnel or such catastrophic outcomes.
* Scepter’s MFCs can be equipped with a coloured strap, which indicates the contents of the can – diesel, gasoline, kerosene, waste, or two-stroke fuel (gas/oil mix). This avoids mixing of fuels mistakenly.
Also good to know:
- Accepts pour spouts (see MFC Accessories).
- Fits standard pattern vehicle brackets for liquid storage containers.
- Air-vent tube in neck keeps pouring smooth.
- Inside threads accept adapters for stoves and heaters.
- Air chamber at the top; the container will float.
MADE IN CANADA
Keywords: jerry can gas can 5 gallon gas can gasoline can